Thursday, August 27, 2009

At least I am painting.




I am not in love with these painting. True thy aren't done but any sense of what they are is pretty much already put down on paper/canvas. Am I happy to be doing them? Yes, I enjoy painting, I enjoy improving my novice abilities. Its true that not being done could mean that there is the chance that these will take on some as of yet applied aspect or compositional element. I hope they do. If nothing else it is useful with the idea of learning or unlearning.
Examples of what I mean:
I keep using and reusing similar palettes or color choices, clearly there is a world of options out there.
My brush technique can always be refined or all together thrown out window.
I never feel good about my trees, I might have to paint one hundred trees just to find out how to actually paint one.
I still need to let go and let the painting be itself. I can be far too literal in my objectives.
I can't help think there are much simpler ways of doing what I do, not painting often enough makes that harder to see.
When to be subtle when to be overt, TRYING to be clever doesn't fly very often.
When to let go of a bad idea and move on.
Oh the thousand choices one has to make, what if? what if?
r.

4 comments:

jel said...

paint 100 trees .....

jel said...

or 100 pieces of grass ....

jel said...

if you don't maybe I will .... though I can't paint ... maybe by #87 I will be able to paint ... I think I should go to bed now.

reino said...

I would like to paint 100 trees but I am having trouble tapping into that part of myself that allows such a thing.